Hamburger Hafen und Logistik (HHLA) has bought a majority share in automation technology company iSAM AG as part of its growth and innovation-focused strategy.
The terminal operator said it will acquire 80% of iSAM AG, with the remaining 20% to be controlled by the three previous managers of the company. Both parties agreed not to disclose the purchase price.
Chairwoman of the Executive Board Angela Titzrath said, “With the opening of the Container Terminal Altenwerder 20 years ago, HHLA already showed what potential automation had.
“With this acquisition, HHLA has direct access to technological developments in the automation of industrial processes, which will make it possible to get into new innovative sectors.
“This transaction confirms our intention to consistently implement our strategy focused on growth and innovation, even under the special conditions of the coronavirus pandemic.”
Bernd Mann, shareholder and CEO of iSAM AG, also commented, “We have known HHLA for more than 20 years and developed the world’s first automated heavy machinery based on GPS and 3D LiDAR technology alongside companies within the HHLA Group.
“We look forward to deepening this cooperation and developing new markets in the automation of container handling under the HHLA Group umbrella.
“We have been working intensively on this technology for the past few years. Additionally, HHLA offers our company, customers and employees a long-term perspective beyond the founding generation.”
iSAM AG has already successfully automated the bulk cargo terminal Hansaport in the Port of Hamburg with the implementation of intelligent control software and high-precision 3D laser scanners.
The company is currently working for the IHATEC project Container Terminal 4.0 on an automation prototype for rail gantry crane 4 at the Container Terminal Altenwerder and is developing new safety technologies for the workspaces shared by people and machines.