European Container Terminal Hub Upgrades TOS


North Sea Terminal Bremerhaven GmbH & Co. (NTB), one of the most important container terminals in Europe, has upgraded from Navis Express to the N4 terminal operating system (TOS).

Located in Bremerhaven, Germany and offering complete intermodal connections to 130 ports worldwide, NTB is one of Northern Europe’s busiest and most important container terminals, handling 3.2 million TEUs annually through continuous 24/7 operations.

The terminal also serves as a dedicated site for Maersk Line, with 65% of the cargo transshipment and the remaining 35% made up of local imports and exports for the European markets.

NTB went live with N4 3.1 on May 1, 2017, without disruption to the terminal’s high-volume operations, and continues to perform optimally with the new system in place.

NTB has achieved 30 moves per hour on average, a level of productivity that the terminal expects will steadily increase over time following the migration to N4.

View Navis in PTI's Supplier Directory

Marc Dieterich, General Manager Operations, North Sea Terminal Bremerhaven GmbH & Co, said: “N4 is the most advanced and widely-used terminal system on the market; we never considered another provider when tasked with migrating from Navis SPARCS and Express.

“The reliability, scalability, and upgradeability of N4, combined with its superior functionality, data quality, and advanced analytics capabilities, will enable us to take NTB operations and performance to the next-level.

“This is a necessary investment that will allow us to perform competitively and deliver on evolving market needs in the decades to come.”

Guenter Schmidmeir, Vice President & General Manager, EMEA, Navis, said: “The level of preparedness and attention-to-detail demonstrated by the NTB project team was incredible, and contributed to our collective ability to complete the migration successfully, maintain existing productivity levels, and hit the essential May 1st cut-over date for the new system.

“We are thrilled to see our customer of almost two decades cross this important milestone and are confident they will soon begin to experience all of the benefits a more modern platform like N4 has to offer.”

Watch Schmidmeir's interview on how terminal operations can be improved:

Daily Email Newsletter

Sign up to our daily email newsletter to receive the latest news from Port Technology International.

Supplier Directory

Find out how to get listed

Webinar Series

Find out how to attend

Latest Stories

Cookie Policy. This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.