Egyptian authorities have closed four ports as a result of an intense sandstorm which has engulfed the Middle East and therefore affecting visibility is many locations, according to Yahoo News.
PTI previously reported that a number of ports were at risk after a tropical storm was said to be on the way to Caribbean ports, with many port facilities suspending operations.
Egypt's state news agency MENA was quoted as saying the General Authority for Red Sea Ports issued a warning that visibility was less than 1,500 metres (just under a mile) on Wednesday morning.
Egypt has recently inaugurated its US$8.5 billion Suez Canal which had been under construction for the previous 10 months, where a new traffic lane was dredged in a bid to lower waiting times.
Talks are also underway to dredge another canal close to East Port Said in an effort to provide easier access to ship merging onto the Suez Canal via the north side.