As a result of the ongoing labour strikes at the Port of Long Beach, Stephen Rubin, Managing Director of Finance and Administration for the port said the spending will be much more conservative.
Rubin stated that there will be no salary increases for port employees nor any plans to raise staffing levels at the port, according to the Press Telegram.
PTI previously reported that strikes had returned at both the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach in opposition of four ground-shipment companies, which involves hundreds of truckers at the ports.
Commenting on the more conservative approach to spending, Lori Ann Farrell Harrison, Harbour Commissioner at Long Beach, said: “I think that is the safest way to go.”
To download Zepol's Top 20 US port report, click here
This news comes in spite of an US$850 million budget that was approved by Long Beach City Council for the Port of Long Beach, which took effect on October 1, 2015.
There had also been issues with spending in Europe, as many European ports fought for a slice of the $15 billion in funding that was proposed by the European Commission in November, 2014.
In the upcoming edition of PTI, Chief Commercial Officer at the Port of Long Beach Dr Noel Hacegaba articulates how the US West Coast can relieve itself of congestion.
To get your copy of PTI Issue 66, The Collector’s Edition, click here
To read Dr Hacegaba’s previous paper written for PTI on how mega-ships bring mega challenges, click here