Skip to content

Sign up to the Port Tech Daily News for free to keep up to date with the latest industry news

Port of Barcelona eyes economic growth with Innovation Plan

Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on email
Email

The Management Board of the Port of Barcelona has validated the port’s Innovation Plan, establishing an innovation model based on the current and future needs of Barcelona’s port community.

The Innovation Plan is based on an analysis of the port’s current situation in areas such as the use of technology, the innovative culture of the port community, the potential of Barcelona’s innovative ecosystem and related dissemination efforts. It can then be used to specify actions necessary to consolidate and extend its innovative model and establish management tools and structures that will facilitate this cross-cutting transformation of port activity.

© Port of Barcelona

The proposals set out in the plan aim to strengthen the port’s role as a driver for economic growth, encouraging innovation, promoting the digitalisation of the logistics ecosystem, and fostering synergies with the city in this area.

To achieve these objectives, the plan has set out to launch the BCN Port Innovation Foundation which aims to make it easier to manage initiatives in the Barcelona port community’s relationship with the innovation ecosystem of the city and develop specific plans for companies in the port maritime sector.

Additionally, the plan establishes the need to create spaces where innovation can be developed successfully, specifically citing an innovation hub and a space for promoting research and training in the port area.

The Port of Barcelona has also recently joined forces with the Port of Busan to open the Korean logistics platform located in the Logistics Activities Zone (ZAL) in Barcelona.

Announced in October 2021, both parties signed an agreement to start a company that will manage and promote this platform among Korean companies. The hub will be responsible for managing and promoting the stable logistics platform for Korean companies in Barcelona.

The Port of Busan holds a 51% stake in the B2B Logistics Busan & Barcelona Hub S.L., while Barcelona holds the remaining 49%.

Want to stay up to date with the latest industry news? Sign up to the Port Tech Daily News and receive stories like this directly to your inbox for free.

Latest Journal

Cookie Policy. This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.