Houston smashes 1 million TEU mark amid growing exports

Houston smashes 1 million TEU mark amid growing exports

The Port of Houston has experienced a significant increase in container exports in April, surpassing its historic volumes of 2022.

Loaded exports have risen by 17 per cent year-to-date compared to the previous year, largely driven by the demand for resin exports.

The total number of loaded TEU handled through April at the Port of Houston has exceeded 1 million, marking an earlier achievement than ever before according to the port.

READ: Port Houston to hit 1 million TEU ‘earlier than ever before’

While a slight decline in import container cargo was expected this year compared to the record-breaking volumes of 2022, the reported decrease in loaded containers at the port was only 10 per cent in April when compared to the same month in the previous year.

Overall, loaded containers have increased by 3 per cent for the year.

In April, the total container volume at the Port of Houston declined by 8 per cent compared to April 2022, reaching 307,879 TEU.

Year-to-date total container volumes have remained stable at 1,241,910 TEU so far this year.

READ: Port Houston grows amid West Coast decline

With the gradual recovery from the pandemic’s disruptions to the global supply chain, cargo activity at the Port of Houston appears to be returning to normal.

The balance between imports and exports has been restored, with imports accounting for 51 per cent of the total container cargo, and exports making up the remaining 49 per cent through April.

“As the fastest growing and now the fifth-largest container port in the US, we must remain proactive
and well-equipped to meet the needs of our customers,” said Roger Guenther, Executive Director at
the Port of Houston.

“Infrastructure investments remain a priority at the Port of Houston, along with the expansion
of the Houston Ship Channel, which is already improving vessel transit times as part of segment 1A’s

Last February, the port authority at Houston announced that its Ship Channel expansion project is making substantial progress towards its completion goal in 2025.

Dredging of the first segment, Segment 1A, from Bolivar Roads to Redfish, has been completed on schedule and within budget.

Daily Email Newsletter

Sign up to our daily email newsletter to receive the latest news from Port Technology International.

Supplier Directory

Find out how to get listed

Webinar Series

Find out how to attend

Latest Stories

Cookie Policy. This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.