Maersk Line, the world’s number one transporter of containerised freight, is the topic of choice for this top five facts article, put together by the team at PTI.
Below is a list of the top five facts Maersk facts:
- Maersk Line’s umbrella company, Maersk Group, employs more than 89,000 people in 130 countries and made a total of US$49 billion in revenue in 2013.
- 90% of the world’s trade is carried by sea and Maersk Line is responsible for transporting around 15.3% of total TEU trade. Its total fleet capacity is more than 2.8 million TEU.
- Maersk Line are one of few container lines focused on reducing its carbon footprint, having recently set a target of lowering its emissions by 60% per container.
- Maersk Line adopts a ‘self-funded’ strategy, using profits to reinvest in its business.
- According to a testimonial released by the shipping line, Maersk were able to attract around 420,000 Facebook fans in less than 11 months, and subsequently won ‘Social Media Campaign of the Year’ in 2012.
(Source: Maersk / FaceBook)